Iran's Offer To Reopen 5+1 Nuclear Talks Has Been Accepted
March 7, 2012 • 8:56AM

European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, speaking for the 5+1 group of the five permanent UN Security Council members plus Germany, issued a statement that she has replied to Iranian chief nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili's letter proposing the resumption of talks which have been stalled for more than a year. "Today I have replied to Dr. Jalili's letter of Feb. 14. I have offered to resume talks with Iran on the nuclear issue," she said. No date has been set for the talks to resume.

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said earlier Tuesday, that Moscow would push for talks to scrap unilateral sanctions against Iran if it allows the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to control Iranian nuclear activity.

In a related development, Iran said it will give the IAEA access to its Parchin military complex, Tehran-based ISNA news agency reported Tuesday. This is where last year's IAEA report said that Iran had built a large containment chamber to conduct explosives tests. The IAEA had requested access to Parchin during high-level talks in Tehran in February, but the Iranian side did not grant it. "Parchin is a military site and accessing it is a time-consuming process, therefore visits cannot be allowed frequently.... We will allow the IAEA to visit it one more time," said the statement from Iran's diplomatic mission in Vienna, according to ISNA.