The following is re-printed with permission from EIR magazine.
by William F. Wertz, Jr.
Oct. 7—On Sunday, Sept. 30, Univision, the largest U.S. Spanish-language television network, broadcast new details on Operation Fast and Furious, putting a human face on the hundreds of victims of the policy that deliberately put guns in the hands of Mexican drug cartels. The report also showed that the gunwalking scheme did not occur only due to the initiative of local officials in Arizona, but rather, also took place in at least two other states, Florida and Texas, strongly suggesting that the policy was run top-down by the Obama Administration.
Lyndon LaRouche has long contended that the gunwalking carried out by the Obama Administration was part of an arrangement in which large amounts of drug money were laundered into the Obama campaign, thanks to international drug-promoter George Soros.
Although Univision does not touch this issue directly, its exposé should fuel a broader investigation. How could guns also be walked to drug cartels in Florida and Texas, if it were only a rogue Arizona operation?
The Univision broadcast shows that long before U.S. Border Patrol officer Brian Terry was killed in Arizona with Fast and Furious weapons on Dec. 14, 2010, the weapons sent to the cartels by the Obama Administration, beginning in early 2009, had already been used to carry out two massacres of teenage Mexican youth.
Eleven months earlier, on Jan. 30, 2010, a commando team of at least 20 hit men parked themselves outside a birthday party of high school and college students in Villas de Salvarcar, Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. Near midnight, the assassins, later identified as hired guns for the Mexican cartel La Linea, broke into a one-story house and opened fire on a gathering of nearly 60 teenagers. Outside, lookouts gunned down a screaming neighbor and several students who had managed to escape. Fourteen young men and women were killed, and 12 more were wounded before the hit men finally fled.
Citing a Mexican Army document it obtained and published, Univision reported that three of the high-caliber weapons fired that night in Villas de Salvárcar were linked to Operation Fast and Furious.
This information, which the Department of Justice undoubtedly possessed, was not turned over to the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, even though such information had been subpoenaed by the committee.
The TV network also uncovered another Fast and Furious weapons massacre. On Sept. 2, 2009, only six months after the launching of Operation Fast and Furious, 18 young men were killed at El Aliviane, a rehabilitation center in Ciudad Juárez, according to the report.
Univision found many of these victims through access to the list of serial numbers for weapons used in Fast and Furious and the list of guns seized in Mexico. After cross-referencing the two lists, it became clear that at least 100 of the weapons were used in crimes of all kinds. Univision reported that they found 57 weapons that were not mentioned in the U.S. Congress's investigation.
Univision also found additional details about other gunwalking operations the Obama Administration undertook.
In Florida, the weapons from Operation Castaway ended up in the hands of criminals in Colombia, Honduras, Venezuela, and Puerto Rico, the lead informant in the case told Univision News in a prison interview. The informant whom Unvision interviewed was "Vietnam veteran-turned-arms-trafficker" Hugh Crumpler.
"When the ATF stopped me, they told me the guns were going to cartels," Crumpler said. "The ATF knew before I knew and had been following me for a considerable length of time. They could not have followed me for two months like they said they did, and not know the guns were going somewhere, and not want for that to be happening."
Crumpler continued: "They knew the weapons were going to cartels and they wanted them to go to cartels. I was told that it was supervised on a national level" (emphasis added).
Other firearms were permitted to leave the country from Texas, according to court documents, and an exclusive interview given by Magdalena Avila Villalobos, the sister of a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent, Victor Avila, who survived a confrontation with cartel hit men in Mexico on Feb. 15, 2011. His fellow agent, Jaime Zapata, was killed during the attack.
"It's not from Arizona and Fast and Furious, but it's a very similar operation. Those weapons that have been recovered, it's been confirmed that they were weapons used in the shootout that killed Jaime Zapata and wounded Victor Avila," Avila Villalobos told Univision.
The firearms linked to the Texas attack were bought by two trafficking rings in the state, according to Raymond Thomas, the Zapata family's lawyer.
- Investigation Expands -
Five days prior to the Univision broadcast, on Sept. 25, Government Reform Committee chair Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) and Sen. Charles Grassley (Iowa), Ranking Republican on the Judiciary Committee, sent a letter to the Justice Department's Office of the Inspector General, requesting an investigation into the Avila and Zapata cases.
Then, following the Univision broadcast, on Oct. 2, Issa and Grassley wrote a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder in which they demanded answers to a series of questions regarding the revelation by Univision that "57 more previously unreported firearms" have been discovered, which are linked to Operation Fast and Furious.
They focus on the three weapons used in the Jan. 30, 2010 massacre at Ciudad Juárez. These weapons, according to Issa and Grassley, "were not referenced either in your September 9, 2011 or your June 7, 2012 letters responding to our requests for information on recoveries and particularly recoveries associated with violent crimes."
In respect to these three weapons they ask: "a) Were these three weapons connected to Fast and Furious?; b) Who purchased these weapons, and when?; c) When were these weapons recovered?; d) When did the Department first learn of the connection between these weapons and Fast and Furious?; e) Why did the Department fail to report these weapons to Congress along with the 28 other weapons recovered in Mexico in connection with violent crimes?"
The letter requests answers by Oct. 14.
- Obama Cornered -
Eight days prior to the broadcast, Univision co-hosts Maria Elena Salinas and Jorge Ramos conducted an interview with Obama in Miami, in which they confronted him as no U.S. "mainstream" media have done. Ramos had previously interviewed Obama on Fast and Furious. The interview took place after the release of the DOJ IG's report on Sept. 20. Obviously, both hosts were aware of the devastating new material on Operation Fast and Furious that was about to be presented by Univision.
Referring to the 65,000 people who have been killed in drug violence in Mexico, Salinas asked Obama, "How many people have to die before the strategy changes?"
Ramos was more specific: "You told me during an interview that you and Mr. Holder did not authorize the Fast and Furious operation that allowed 2,000 weapons from the United States into Mexico and they were in the drug trafficking [cartels'] hands. I think that up to 100 Mexicans might have died, and also American agent Brian Terry. There's a report that 14 agents were responsible for the operation, but shouldn't the attorney general, Eric Holder, he should have known about that and if he didn't, should you fire him?"
Obama, whom the DOJ IG had said obstructed his investigation by preventing him from interviewing White House National Security Council official Kevin O'Reilly, and refusing to hand over internal White House communications, lied that Fast and Furious, which began in 2009 under his administration, was initiated under the Bush Administration. Obama said that "Eric Holder has my complete confidence, because he has shown himself to be willing to hold accountable those who took these actions and is passionate about making sure that we're preventing guns from getting into the wrong hands."
Ramos responded: "But if you have nothing to hide, then why are you not releasing papers to the..."
Obama: "The truth is we've released thousands of papers."
Ramos: "But not all of them."
Salinas then insisted: "Let's have an independent investigation, because at the end of the day, this is the Justice Department investigating its boss and saying they [the DOJ] say it's not at fault? Why don't we have, very briefly, an independent investigation that is not done by the Justice Department?"
Asserting Executive privilege to cover up his administration's responsibility for the murder of not only two U.S. law enforcement officials, but of Mexican teenagers, is now coming back at the President, who apparently thought no one would have to courage to say the Emperor has no clothes.