Benghazi Select Committee Begins Investigation
August 3, 2014 • 10:06AM

The Select Committee to Investigate Benghazi met this week with family members of the four Americans who were killed U.S. mission and CIA annex in Benghazi nearly two years ago.

According to a spokesman for committee chairman Trey Gowdy (R-SC), "Members of the Select Committee are meeting privately this week with family members of the Americans killed in the Benghazi attacks so we could hear from them directly." In order to respect their privacy, the Committee will have no further statement on these meetings."

Gowdy also indicated that in his view the committee "can't skip over a witness that I think we ought to talk to simply because there is an assertion of either privilege or immunity." That includes former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and former CIA Director David Petraeus.

In his book Blood Feud, author Ed Klein reported that shortly before 10:00 p.m. on Sept. 11, 2012 Hillary Clinton's chief of staff Cheryl Mills, told Clinton to expect a call from President Obama. Klein reports that according to a member of Clinton's team of legal advisors Obama ordered Clinton to put out a release lying that the attack was the result of an internet video attack on the Prophet Mohammed.

Klein also reports that at 5.41 p.m. that same day Clinton called David Petraeus. Klein reports that the consulates primary purpose was to provide cover for the thirty-plus Americans who worked for the CIA and that the CIA was involved in the clandestine transfer of weapons out of eastern Libya, through Turkey, and into the hands of rebel groups fighting against the regime of Bashar al-Assad in Syria.

The question is whether the Select Committee will pursue these leads presented by Klein either in direct interviews with Hillary Clinton and David Petraeus or with Klein's sources.

The first hearing has been scheduled for early September and Gowdy has recommended closed hearings or private depositions because he thinks that would glean the most information.

"Five minutes has proven time and time again to be an inadequate amount of time to get to the truth," he told a FoxNews reporter. "I'm certainly not good enough in five minutes to unlock all the mysteries in the world. I might not be doing five hours, but I would rather use whatever investigatory tool allows me the most amount of time with a witness or potential witness and I think that will be depositions as opposed to public hearings."

He plans to stay on schedule and keep the committee's findings secret until it has all the necessary information to build a "detailed timeline to identify gaps in the facts."

"This is going to be serious, fact-centric. There are not going to be leaks. There are not going to be selective releases," he said. "Hopefully, if the investigation is still ongoing, [Petraeus] may conclude, he has an absolute right to conclude, that he is still going to participate."

Benghazi Attackers and Defenders Allied in Libya Then and Now

As documented by LaRouchePAC previously (Updated Fact Sheet: Obama's Saudi Connection; the Obama-Al-Qaeda Alliance (May 4, 2013)) Ansar al Sharia, the group accused of attacking the U.S. mission and CIA annex in Benghazi on Sept. 11, 2012 as well as the February 17th Brigade which was hired to defend the U.S. facilities and Libya Shield, which escorted the US reinforcements from the Benghazi airport to the CIA annex following the attack and was later used by the FBI for security during the FBI's investigation, worked together in carrying out the attack. All three groups are associated with the al-Qaeda-affiliated Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, led by Abdelhakim Belhadj.

Now further evidence has emerged of the ongoing collaboration of these groups, all of which were supported by Barack Obama in his unconstitutional overthrow of Muammar Qaddafi.

Wissam bin Hamid, the leader of Libya Shield, who was identified in the Library of Congress report Al Qaeda in Libya: a Profile published in August 2012, as possibly the leader of Al Qaeda in Libya, has been fighting alongside members of Ansar al Sharia in Benghazi.

According to the Weekly Standard, in recent days bin Hamid has been pictured with Sheikh Mohammed al Zahawi, Ansar al Sharia's leader in Benghazi. One of the pictures was posted by Ansar al Sharia on its official Twitter feed on July 22. The accompanying text reads, "The mujahid Sheikh Mohammed al Zahawi accompanied by the battlefield commander Wissam Bin Hamid - May Allah protect them both - during the course of their leadership of the invasion."